Mergers, Acquisitions & Privatization
Our lawyers have been involved in an extensive array of mergers and acquisitions and therefore have in-depth experience and local legal knowledge which has enabled them to play a significant role in the M&A market in Romania.
B&A lawyers have been involved in some of the hottest privatization transactions in Romania. They have extensive expertise in energy companies, banks and financial institutions, and also in advising on licence requirements and regulatory compliance.
- Successfully advising Romgaz S.A. in its capacity as issuer, in the initial public offering by the Ministry of Economy, acting through the Department of Energy, of a stock of 15% of Romgaz shares, admission to trading on the Bucharest Stock Exchange and the simultaneous listing of global depositary receipts with respect to such shares on the London Stock Exchange. This is the largest Romanian IPO to date and the first Romanian privatization to include the issue of global depositary receipts to be traded on the London Stock Exchange, an important and historic moment for both the Romanian State and Romgaz. Under this IPO, Romania raised almost RON 1.7 billion (€390 million);
- Advising the Romanian Ministry for Information Society on the privatisation of Romtelecom S.A., either through an IPO or a M&A operation - one of the largest privatisations of a telecom operator in the region to date;
- Successfully advising on the joint-venture between a well-known food company and a global agribusiness and food production company in the context of the acquisition of the share capital of their subsidiaries in Romania (due diligence included) and of the subsequent development of a joint business platform (approximately EUR 100 million);
- Advising one of the largest independent financial service providers in Central and Eastern Europe on the disposal of its insurance arm to an insurance company in France, transaction worth US$897.2 million;
- Advising one of the largest GSM retailers in Romania on the sale of its majority stake to Vodafone Romania S.A.;
- Advising on the acquisition of one of the largest and oldest Romanian companies carrying out drilling activities in the petroleum and natural gas sector;
- Advising a Finish-based international consulting and engineering company on the acquisition of shares in one of the leading engineering companies in Romania and several of its affiliated companies.